Great Lent 2018
Category : Resource
In 2018, we celebrate the Resurrection of Christ on Sunday 8 April.
This page is a resource for this vital season in our church calendar.
21 January: Zacchaeus Sunday. This is the first Sunday of Pre-Lent.
28 January: Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee.
4 February: Sunday of the Prodigal Son.
11 February: Sunday of the Last Judgement; and, Meatfare Sunday. (Memorial Service on Saturday 10/Feb)
- Full Service Text (including music): The Memorial Service
18 February: Forgiveness Sunday; and, Cheesefare Sunday.
- Full Service Text (including music): The Vespers of Forgiveness.
19-22 February: Clean Week.
We serve Great Compline from Monday through Thursday.
- Full Service Text (including music): Great Compline, including quarters of the Great Canon of St Andrew of Crete, as served in Clean Week
- The Prayer of St Ephraim: A 6 part podcast series from Our Life in Christ.
- The Lenten Prayer of St Ephrem the Syrian: An explanatory article by Fr Alexander Schmemann.
- A Meditation on the Service of Great Compline: An article by Stylianos Gerasimos.
25 February: The Sunday of Orthodoxy.
At the close of Liturgy, we serve the Moleben for the Astray.
- Full Service Text (including music): Moleben for those who have Departed into Error. Served for those who have left the Church (whether by schism, apostasy, heresy, or laziness).
4 March: Sunday of St Gregory Palamas.
11 March: Sunday of the Holy Cross.
At the Vigil service for this day, near the end of the service, we bring out the Cross for veneration. During this service – unlike most Sundays – the faithful are invited to make full prostrations to venerate the Cross.
18 March: Sunday of St John of the Ladder.
21 March: Matins with the Great Canon of St Andrew of Crete.
- Full Service Text (including music): Matins, including the Great Canon of St Andrew of Crete and the Life of St Mary of Egypt
- St Andrew of Crete as a Model for our Lives: An article by Fr George Papavarnavas
- The Great Canon of St Andrew of Crete: An article by Fr Victor Potapov
- The Who’s Who of the Great Canon of St Andrew of Crete: An article by Pdcn James Hughes.
25 March: Sunday of St Mary of Egypt.
NB: On the day prior to this, we will have our parish cleanup and working bee in preparation for Great Lent.
Unction: At our parish, this is generally served late in Lent, as a preparation for the Resurrection. Please see the Unction resource page for more information.
31 March: Lazarus Saturday.
We serve Matins on the Friday evening and Divine Liturgy on the Saturday. After the Liturgy, we make palm crosses.
- Tutorial for making Palm Crosses (coming soon)
1 April: Palm Sunday.
We serve the Festal Vigil on the Saturday evening, blessing the palms and branches, and the Divine Liturgy on the Sunday morning.
1-2 April: Holy Monday.
Our parish doesn’t have services for this day – we invite those interested to visit other parishes.
2-3 April: Holy Tuesday.
Our parish doesn’t have services for this day – we invite those interested to visit other parishes. (See below for Holy Wednesday services, celebrated on Holy Tuesday evening).
3-4 April: Holy Wednesday.
This year, we will celebrate the Matins of the Bridegroom on Tuesday 3 April.
- Service Text: Matins of the Bridegroom for Holy Wednesday (served on Tuesday evening)
4-5 April: Holy Thursday.
We serve the Matins of the Mystical Supper on Wednesday 4 April, and the Divine Liturgy on Thursday 5 April.
- Service Text: Matins of the Mystical Supper, and, the First Hour (served on Wednesday evening)
- Service Text: Hours, Typika and the Vesperal Divine Liturgy (served on Thursday morning)
5-6 April: Holy Friday.
We serve the Matins of the Crucifixion, with the 12 Passion Gospel Readings, on Thursday 5 April. On Friday 6 April, we serve the Royal Hours for Good Friday.
- Service Text: Matins of the Crucifixion (served on Thursday evening)
- Service Text: Royal Hours of Good Friday (served on Friday daytime)
6-7 April: Holy Saturday.
On 6 April, we serve the Vespers of the Shroud in the afternoon and the Matins of the Lamentations in the evening. On 7 April, we serve the Vesperal Divine Liturgy of Holy Saturday, celebrating the destruction of Hades.
NB: In 2018, this day is when the Patronal Feastday of our parish is served. The usual festivities will be postponed and celebrated around the feastday of the Archangel Gabriel (which will be celebrated on 20-21 July).
- Service Text: Vespers of the Shroud, followed by Small Compline (served on Friday afternoon)
- Service Text: Matins of the Lamentations (served on Friday evening)
- Service Text: Liturgy (served on Saturday morning, and, including baptisms)
7-8 April: The Resurrection of Christ.
On 7 April, prior to midnight, we serve the Midnight Office of the Shroud. Then, as midnight falls, we have the Paschal Procession around the church, followed by Paschal Matins and Divine Liturgy, in celebration of the Resurrection of Christ.
- Service Text: Midnight Office; and, Paschal Procession, Matins & Divine Liturgy (served from Saturday 11pm to Sunday 3am)
On the evening of 8 April, it is the local custom for all clergy to concelebrate the Paschal Vespers at one of the churches. In 2018, Holy Annunciation has the honour of hosting this service.
- Service Text: Paschal Vespers (served on Sunday evening)
15 April: Thomas Sunday. We will serve Matins and Divine Liturgy on this day.
We welcome you to worship Christ with us!