Our parishioners have shown their great patience and perseverance as the effects of this pandemic continues to swirl in our world, country and city. This resource page has been created in the aftermath of the snap lockdown for Greater Brisbane, put in place for 8-11 January.
How are we managing attendance?
We are asking all who wish to attend our services to fill in the attendance form every month. This is available at: HolyAnnunciation.net/Attendance
What are the relevant Directions from our civil authorities?
The Queensland Chief Health Officer issues Public Health Directions. As a Place of Worship under civil law, we are obligated to follow these Directions as they apply to us. Despite these, we do our very best to care for our parishioners and friends as well as we are able.
The applicable direction is the 'Restrictions on Businesses, Activities and Undertakings Direction' (No. 12, as of 8/Jan).
What services is Holy Annunciation providing?
A government restriction does not mean that our spirituality ceases (or even pauses). With the experience of the Lenten lockdown (Mar-May 2020), together with subsequent feedback, research and deliberation, we are able to provide two principle options to support the spiritual life and development of our parishioners and friends through services.
Services in Person
We are continuing to have services in person. Those who have filled in an attendance form are eligible to attend. Fr Andrew sends invitation e-mails each week.
While have density limits, we aim for each person to be able to attend each week, and for each person to be able to attend Liturgy at least each fortnight.
To find the Attendance Form, please see: HolyAnnunciation.net/Attendance
One option for those unable to attend: we livestream our Saturday Vigil, our Sunday Liturgy, and our services for Great Feastdays.
Services are livestreamed at fb.com/HolyAnnunciation/Live.
(nb: while this is broadcast via Facebook Live, no Facebook account is required to watch the service - simply click the link at the starting time)
In addition, a number of livestreams are available from parishes across the country. We can suggest the following interstate parishes (nb: times given according to Brisbane time):
- Good Shepherd Orthodox Mission (Melbourne - Antiochian Archdiocese). English-language. Sunday, 9am, on YouTube (link).
- St Nicholas Cathedral (Brisbane - ROCOR). Slavonic-language services. Sunday, 8:30am, on YouTube (link).
- Sts Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Cathedral (Sydney - ROCOR). Slavonic-language services. Sunday, 8am, on YouTube (link).
- Holy Protection Russian Orthodox Cathedral (Melbourne - ROCOR). Slavonic & English languages. Sunday, 8am, on YouTube (link).
- Many, many other Orthodox churches around the country: https://orthodoxonline.net.au/
- Fr John Whiteford has put together a number of Readers Services, which I recommend.
- The Vespers service (which may be prayed on Saturday evening, omitting the variables if they are not available): http://www.saintjonah.org/services/vespers.htm
- The Typika service (which, in the absence of a Priest, is prayed instead of a Liturgy): http://www.saintjonah.org/services/typica.htm
- The Variables for the Typika service, for this Sunday 10/Jan: http://www.saintjonah.org/typ/typ_kinsmen_december28.htm
- Earlier this year, I put together a crash-course video on putting together the Typika service. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLg7Jrdu7mc
What other support is provided through Holy Annunciation?
The snap lockdowns, in Greater Brisbane and elsewhere around the country, taught us that we can never take our services for granted, and that each opportunity to be with the Body of Christ in our local parish must be taken while it can be.
There are a variety of prayers we can be offering for a variety of topics. (NB: as composed prayers are found, they will be linked to).
- Prayers during an Epidemic.
- Prayers for the Sick, including those who are suffering within this Pandemic.
- Prayers for our Civil Authorities - parliaments, cabinets, officials, police and judiciary.
- Prayers for our Ecclesiastical Authorities - our Parish Council, our Hierarchs, our Synod, and their advisors.
- Prayers for all people in our parish - especially those who are struggling (or hiding their struggle).
Fr Andrew is available for pastoral support. This can be provided via a large number of social media and messaging platforms, and by appointment. Please contact him directly to arrange.
I'd like to ask a question about something that isn't addressed in this page.
Please contact Fr Andrew directly.