Priest Andrew Smith
Fr Andrew was born and raised in Brisbane. While he was in high school, he embarked on a search for truth and for God’s religion, and after much study into various religions and philosophies, he ultimately stumbled onto Orthodox Christianity. After further research and prayer, he was received into the Church in 2002.
Fr Andrew has tertiary qualifications in Philosophy & Ethics, Education, Human Resource Management and Theology. A married priest, he was ordained to the diaconate in 2012 and to the priesthood in 2014. As Parish Priest ('Rector') since 2017, Fr Andrew leads the services and sacraments at our parish, is available for pastoral duties, and is heavily involved in parish education.
In support of his work, Fr Andrew has written two books, ‘Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity’ (2012) and ‘Every Day the Lord Added’ (2013), and edited a third book, ‘A Gathering of Saints’ (2019). He concurrently serves as Parish Priest for St John’s Orthodox Mission, Toowoomba, the only active Orthodox presence on the Darling Downs. Fr Andrew is also active online – he has been a sysop of OrthodoxWiki since 2005, has a listing on Academia.edu, and he has an active presence on Facebook, Instagram and Reddit.
Sermons at Holy Annunciation are normally given by Fr Andrew. You can see his sermons on YouTube.
Matters that Fr Andrew is available for include:
- Discussions: Discussions on Orthodox Christianity and pastoral matters.
- Sacraments: Baptism & Chrismation, Communion, Confession (during Vigil or by appointment), Unction, and Marriage.
- At Church: Blessing icons, and blessing a cross
- Birth of a Child: Prayers at birth, Naming prayers (8th day), and Churching prayers (40th day)
- Home: Blessing of a House (new or existing) or a Vehicle (incl. cars, boats, ships, planes, or bikes)
- Farms and Animals: Prayers for bad weather, seed-sowing, removing infestations, barns, herds or flocks, vineyards, wells, bees, beehives, and for finding water
- Items: Prayers for Wine, Salt, Fishnets, and more
- Illness and Housebound: Prayers for the Sick, Home Unction, and Communion of the Sick
- Death: Blessing a grave, Blessing a tombstone or grave-cross, Prayer at the time of death, and Memorial services (‘Panikhida‘)
- Other Prayers: For learning difficulties, for beginning a new task, for travel, and for thanksgiving
- And more…
For any of these matters, or any other pastoral matters, please contact Fr Andrew directly.